Tracy Sure Talks...Alot!
What to write in a blog about the myriad of things that I have learned?
1. People need interior design and decor assistance- a fresh pair of trained eyes- even if only a consultation will guide you to a plan for years of no wasted time or money.
2. Paint every 7 years...
Does your make-up withstand all the washing and wear or the environment for more than a day? 7 years and start again... The drywall will not perform without a coating on it. After years of living through people's lives...it needs a new dress!
3. Furnishings- to reupholster or not? Reupholstering is rebuilding the structure and the springs are tightened, fixed when damaged...and new fill is installed...then your new fabric. Seriously, unless the piece is SUPER sentimental- it is going to cost you more than purchasing a new piece.
4. Fabric is not cheap. Cheap fabric is not necessarily an environmentally sound idea.... How many times do you buy a cheap tee shirt and toss it out? Not that smart unless you can repurpose.
5. Accessories make the room. change an accessory and see the change in mood, atmosphere, season... Being creative can be as easy as changing it up!
6. Symmetry is expected. Asymmetric spaces are interesting...but more difficult to execute. Arrange to rearrange...another simple solution to a design consultation...floor plans for years on non ennuie!
7. Trends- are only trends. Do not spend serious money on them. Accessories only!
8. As an interior designer- I have never inflicted my taste on any one of my clients.
I produce custom work for everyone... not a carbon copy of your cousin, neighbour or other designer's work. Live your life- as you...not as the person that you want to be.
9. Beige is not a colour. It is the interior of a lunch bag. Please do not live in beige- it is boring...and I can bet that you and your life is not! Remember your best holiday? I bet it was full of colour and texture and light...apply this theory to your homes. workspaces and see if you are happier!
Well, that is it for now....write me, and I will write back!
Remember to enjoy your spaces, and there are always solutions- to all issues.
Call to consult with a professional - it will save you time, money and a headache!
Tracy O'Brien, ARIDO, IDC, BA.,NCIDQ, IDD, IDECEC reviewer and educator.